The interactive map interface page includes information presented in boxes such as “Navigation” (1) and “Source/Citation” (2) on the left hand side and the main window (3) with the map and article on the right hand side.
The boxes on the left can be folded away by clicking the arrow right of the map title.
Box "Navigation" (1)
- Chapters: these enable you to browse through the Atlas chapters (presented in blue) and associated sub-chapters (shown in green). To open a sub-chapter click on the arrow or double click on the chapter title; to see the contents of a specific map just click on its title.
- Base Layers and Overlays: here you can choose one of the base layers for the map including satellite view, detailed country and regional boundaries or see spatial data from OpenStreet Map. Some maps may also include lakes and rivers as overlays that you can turn on or off.
- Map Layers: these present different aspects of a map, i.e. different layers of information for your selected map. Click on the radio button to choose the map layer of interest.
- Map Caption: this shows a short description of the map content.
- Legend: this box displays the colour codes used in the map.
Note that the “Map Layers”, “Map Caption” and “Legend” boxes will be displayed on top of the map in the main window on the right hand side, when you use the full screen version (further details below).
Box “Source/Citation” (2)
- The “Source” tab: shows the contributing institutions and provides the according relevant appropriate links to them; it also offers links to original publication(s) or data source(s) if applicable.
- The “Citation”tab: provides information about how the selected map must be cited when it is used elsewhere.
Main Window (3)
The main window may contain several tabs such as: “Map”, “Article”, “Extended Methods” and “Copyright & Downloads”. Note that the “Article” and “Extended Methods” tabs are only displayed if information is available for them.
The "Map" tab: this is where the actual spatial information is shown in an interactive map. It offers the following functions via distinct icons:
- zoom in icon: click on this icon to zoom in or scroll upward with the mouse. You can also double click on the map to zoom to this point.
- zoom out icon: click to zoom out or scroll downward.
- zoom box icon: you can zoom directly to a specific area by drawing a box on the map and holding down the “shift” button whilst dragging the mouse around your area of interest.
- pan icon: you can move your view of the map by clicking the pan and mouse buttons at the same time.
- zoom to previously viewed extent icon: allows you to return to the previous map positions or views after you have navigated through the map.
- zoom to next viewed extent icon: enables you to return to the next map positions or views after you have navigated through the map.
- locate your position icon: you can display your current position by sharing your location details with the map. Note: the browser will ask your permission to locate your position first (unless you turned this feature off permanently thus denying permission).
- info icon: you can enable/disable an information pop-up that you get when clicking on a specific feature on the map.
The "Article" tab: shows a relevant scholarly article associated with the displayed map; it should help you to understand and explore the map content by setting a scientific context for it. It may also provide other useful additional information too.
The optional "Extended Methods" tab: presents further information about the methods used to generate your chosen map.
The optional "Copyright & Downloads" tab: displays important copyright information relating to your chosen map as well as specifying the permitted download options.
maximise option: opens the full screen version of the map interface (further details are given below).
Full screen version
The maximise option enables you to view the full screen version of your selected map.
If you choose the full screen version the interface will change slightly in its appearance. Some items from the “Navigation” box will now be placed as information boxes on the right hand side in the “Map” tab (i.e. Map Layers, Map Caption and Legend). Additionally an “Overview map” box will appear indicating the actual extent of the current view in relation to the global map. To expand or hide the content of these items just click on the arrow on the right hand side of the box header. You can change the height of the boxes by dragging the lower frame up or down.
To toggle the display of these boxes at the top of your map click on the following icons located on the lower left hand side of the map:
- Toggle map layers box.
- Toggle map caption box.
- Toggle legend box.
- Toggle overview map box.
The minimise option enables you to leave the full screen version of the map and return to the embedded version.
- Return to the map profile page: click on the map title in the header on the left hand side (small screen version) or on the top right (full screen version) to return to the map profile page.
- Return to the Atlas homepage: select the Atlas title in the header to return to the Atlas homepage.
- Return to the BioFresh platform: click on the BioFresh logo in the header area of the webpage to return to the BioFresh platform.